Ted R. Green was born in Newark, New Jersey and moved with his family to East Orange at age eleven. He is a 1982 graduate of East Orange High School and Attended Cheyney University in Pennsylvania and majored Business management
He received his certification as a Housing Counselor from Rutgers University. In 2009 He went back to Lincoln University in Pennsylvania, and Received he Master’s Degree in Sociology & Human Services. Over the past seventeen years, he has distinguished himself as a professional in the field of property maintenance and housing revitalization. From 1990 until 1997, Green served as the Assistant Compliance Officer for the City of East Orange. From 2002 until 2006, he was an Asst. Director of Code Enforcement for Townships’ Housing Division. He recently worked at Brick City Development Corp, as a Compliance Specialist.
Ted Green has been active in East Orange political and civic affairs for over sixteen years. He is a member of the Third Ward Democratic Municipal County Committee and is active in his Wards’ block associations and civic groups. He is a former Aide to New Jersey State Senator Richard J. Codey. On January 1, 2006, Ted R. Green was sworn in as a member of the East Orange City Council representing the Third Ward. That moment was a major milestone in a career that has been dedicated to public service. He currently serves as the Council’s Chairman of the Housing, Licensing and Inspection Committee. Prior to his election, he served as an appointed member to the East Orange Housing Authority and now sits as the Council liaison to that body.
As a young African American man, Councilman Green recognized the need for positive programs and activities for youth in the East Orange community. In response to this need, in 1990, he founded the Green’s School of Martial Arts. Not only does he provide instruction in the discipline of martial arts, he also offers enrichment and mentoring programs as well as cultural activities for his students. He devotes a great deal of his time serving as a volunteer in a variety of youth oriented activities that included the East Orange School District’s Black Male Institute and the Rites of Passage Youth Program. As an elected official, he has expanded his scope of involvement and has implemented community outreach initiatives designed especially for senior citizens including a free lawn care and snow removal service.
Ted Green has received numerous citations for his exemplary commitment and dedication to community service. He is the recipient of the 2008 NAACP of the Oranges and Maplewood President’s Award, the 2008 Community Services Award from the Todd Warner Foundation, the 2004 American Karate Academy Community Service Award, the 2003 HANDS, Incorporated Award for Community Leadership and Service, the 2004 Golconda Temple #24 Community Service Award, the 2005 M.A.U.I.I. Community Service Award and the 2004 New Jersey Governor’s State Public Service Recognition Award
The Functions of the Housing Department are:
- Enforce all Housing Codes; enforcement of the property maintenance codes
- Heat complaints
- Protecting the public health & safety moral and welfare, by establishing standards that govern the maintenance of appearance and or condition and occupancy of residential and non-residential properties
- Certificate of Habitability is required by Owner of property before a tenant moves into a unit.
- Certificate of Occupancy is required by Owner of property if a transfer of title is to take place before closing
|Gary Harper, Chief Housing Inspector||(973) 399-6650|
|Eddie Manuel, Housing Inspector||(973) 399-6781|
|Primose Delva, Housing Inspector||(973) 399-6776|
|Jean Lamothe, Housing Inspector||(973) 399-6725|
|Joseph Ouseley, Housing Inspector||(973) 399-6668|
|Harry Paden, Housing Inspector||(973) 399-6646|
The means available to the Building Department in the Enforcement of New Jersey Construction Code include the Following:
- The Building Department is responsible for the administration & supervision of the Building Code
- The Building Apartment is designated as State Uniform Construction Code (UCC) Enforcement agency
- The Building Department is supervised by the Division manager who shall be a licensed Construction Official & City employee in classified Civil Service
- Processing/Issuing permits for construction renovations, and or alterations of any structure
- Approval of all applications and/or permits
- Preparing Certificate of Occupancy C/O
- Preparing Continued Certificate of Occupancy’s
- Monthly Reports/Deposits
The Building & Construction Department
|Rudy Ince, Construction Official||(973) 399-6609|
|Derrick James, Zoning Officer||(973) 399-5732|
|Cynthia Mitchell, Tech. Asst. Const. Off.||(973) 399-6610|
|Rana Pullins, Bld. Sub Code/Bldg. Insp.||(973) 399-6787|
|Anthony Citarella, Plumbing Sub Code||(973) 399-6610|
|Philbert Bachoo, Fire Sub Code Official||(973) 399-6610|