The Functions of the Housing Department are:
- Enforce all Housing Codes; enforcement of the property maintenance codes
- Heat complaints
- Protecting the public health & safety moral and welfare, by establishing standards that govern the maintenance of appearance and or condition and occupancy of residential and non-residential properties
- Certificate of Habitability is required by Owner of property before a tenant moves into a unit.
- Certificate of Occupancy is required by Owner of property if a transfer of title is to take place before closing
|Gary Harper, Chief Housing Inspector
|Eddie Manuel, Housing Inspector
|Primose Delva, Housing Inspector
|Jean Lamothe, Housing Inspector
|Joseph Ouseley, Housing Inspector
|Harry Paden, Housing Inspector
The means available to the Building Department in the Enforcement of New Jersey Construction Code include the Following:
- The Building Department is responsible for the administration & supervision of the Building Code
- The Building Apartment is designated as State Uniform Construction Code (UCC) Enforcement agency
- The Building Department is supervised by the Division manager who shall be a licensed Construction Official & City employee in classified Civil Service
- Processing/Issuing permits for construction renovations, and or alterations of any structure
- Approval of all applications and/or permits
- Preparing Certificate of Occupancy C/O
- Preparing Continued Certificate of Occupancy’s
- Monthly Reports/Deposits
The Building & Construction Department
|Rudy Ince, Construction Official
|Derrick James, Zoning Officer
|Cynthia Mitchell, Tech. Asst. Const. Off.
|Rana Pullins, Bld. Sub Code/Bldg. Insp.
|Anthony Citarella, Plumbing Sub Code
|Philbert Bachoo, Fire Sub Code Official
Tharien Karim Arnold is currently Director of Building and Housing and Deputy Coordinator of OEM, formerly, Asst. Director of Building and Housing with the Township of Irvington. Tharien is the former Coordinator of Office of Emergency Management with the City of Orange. Tharien also served as the Assistant Director of Office of Emergency Management and Director Neighborhood Services for the City of Newark.
Prior to his leadership in Public Administration Tharien has served an extensive career in education. After graduating from Rutgers University in 1995 with his Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice he served as Vice Principal of Marist High School in Bayonne, New Jersey. Eager to return to the college arena, after 4 years Tharien signed on as an Academic Advisor at Rutgers University, Newark, Dean of Students Office. His leadership was beckoned in the Rutgers Business School in which he served as Assistant Director/Assistant Dean of MBA Student Services for Rutgers Newark and New Brunswick campuses.
Tharien is Co-President of Weequahic High School Alumni Association and a former District Leader in his community in Newark NJ. He’s a Newark resident and a former Newark School Board Member and Founder of Newark South Ward Community Collaborative Organization. He is a former: Board Member of Project Re-Direct, Board Member at Essex County College Advisory Board Business Division, Served five terms as President of Rutgers Alumni Association and Member of 10,000 Mentors, Inc. of Newark. Tharien served our country for four years in the United States Army attaining Rank of Sergeant.
Tharien is currently enrolled in a Master’s Program at Rutgers University, Newark. He is a recipient of New Jersey Community Forestry Council 2010 Joyce Kilmer Award, University High School of the Humanities 2010 Community Service Award, The Greater Newark Conservancy 2008 Nelson Mandella Freedom Gardening Award, Grace Reformed Baptist Church, Inc., 2007 Rising Star Award. He is married with two children.